PM warns: Lebanon to be held responsible for attacks from within - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Northern Front

Netanyahu, 'We'll hold Lebanon responsible' Photo: Flash 90
Netanyahu, 'We'll hold Lebanon responsible' Photo: Flash 90
 
 

PM warns: Lebanon to be held responsible for attacks from within

Speaking before Gush Katif evacuees in south, Netanyahu addresses threats from north, saying 'If Hezbollah entered gov't as official body, let it be clear Lebanese gov't to be held responsible for any attack on Israel from its territory'

Roni Sofer
Published: 08.10.09, 11:17 / Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sent an assertive message to Beirut on Monday, saying, "Let it be clear that the Lebanese government will be held accountable for any attack on Israel coming from its territory."

 

The prime minister spoke before Gush Katif evacuees in Hevel Lachish in southern Israel.

 

Netanyahu addressed the shifting politics in Lebanon, and said, "If Hezbollah entered the government as an official body, let it be clear that the Lebanese government will be held accountable for any attack on Israel coming from its territory.

Tense Border
UK concerned about Hezbollah rearming / Associated Press
Lebanese FM says after meeting with British junior minister that Shiite group's weapons are internal Lebanese matter being discussed by rival factions
Full Story

 

"The moment they are part of the government, the sovereign Lebanese government is responsible. I hope we will not need such responses."

 

The last few days have seen reports of Hezbollah efforts to target Israeli delegates overseas, including a thwarted attempt on the life of the Israeli ambassador to Cairo.

 

Deputy Foreign Minister Daniel Ayalon told Yedioth Ahronoth that should any attempt be made on an Israeli official the Lebanese government would be held accountable.

 

"Hezbollah is not on the moon, its part of the Lebanese government…. if so much as one hair on the head of any Israeli overseas – official or tourist – is harmed, we will hold Hezbollah responsible and the response would be harsh."

 

Northern Comman deputy chief Brigadier-General Alon Friedman said in an interview to the British Times last week that the queit on the northern border "could erupt any minute".

 

He added that the stability between Lebanon and Israel was "in danger". According to the report, Hezbollah has accumulated over 40,000 rockets and has been training its troops to launch rockets capable of reaching Tel Aviv as well as airplanes.

 

Netanyahu also addressed the matter of the Gaza evacuees and their location in eastern Lachish. "We are committed to completing our work, and part of it is ensuring that the territories across the border are not used as launch bases against us. Every attack will yield a response," he said.

 

The prime minister refused to comment on developments in talks in the matter of captive soldier Gilad Shalit, and made do with a general statement, saying, "We are dealing with this matter all the time".

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
11 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב