Swine flu scare (Archive)
צילום: רועי גזית
26-year old dies of swine flu
Hospital says the young man, the 21st Israeli to die of the disease, did not belong to any risk group
A 26-year old man who was diagnosed with swine flu has become Israel's 21st victim of the disease, Beilinson Hospital announced Wednesday. The hospital said the young man had not belonged to any risk group.
The man was hospitalized in the Petah Tikvah hospital over two weeks ago complaining of breathing difficulties. He was diagnosed with the H1N1 virus and transferred to intensive care a few days later in critical condition after he had become unconscious.
The director of the hospital, Boaz Tadmor, explained, "We hooked him up to a machine called ECMO, which supports respiration and oxygenates the blood outside of the body." He said the machine had helped more than 60 people around the world who suffered from swine flu.
"We had the impression that he had improved slightly, but unfortunately we discovered this morning that he had passed away," Tadmor added.
On Tuesday a 50-year old man suffering from preexisting conditions died after being diagnosed with swine flu. On Monday an 88-year old woman who also suffered from preexisting illnesses perished after being diagnosed with the disease. So far 2,600 Israelis have been diagnosed with the virus, 42 of which have been hospitalized in intensive care.
The Health Ministry has signed a deal for the purchase of $65.6 million worth of vaccines against the disease, which are scheduled to arrive in the beginning of 2010.