'Barak wanted to avenge border incident, attack Lebanon' - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Report

Barak and Kouchner (archive) Photo: Ariel Hermoni, Defense Ministry
Barak and Kouchner (archive) Photo: Ariel Hermoni, Defense Ministry
 
Lebanese building after border clash Photo: AP
Lebanese building after border clash Photo: AP
 
 

'Barak wanted to avenge border incident, attack Lebanon'

Al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper reports Sarkozy, Clinton pressured Israel to withdraw its plan to launch large-scale military operation in response to death of Ltc. Dov Harari killed in border skirmish

Roee Nahmias
Published: 08.11.10, 10:44 / Israel News

France dissuaded Israel from opening a large-scale military operation against Lebanon in response to the border incident which killed Ltc. Dov Harari, the London-based al-Sharq al-Awsat newspaper reported Wednesday.

 

US-Lebanon Relations
US suspends military aid to Lebanon  / Yitzhak Benhorin
US House Committee on Foreign Affairs places hold on $100 million in aid over concern for Hezbollah involvement in Lebanese army affairs. Decision made day before border skirmish with IDF
Full story

French sources told the paper that Defense Minister Ehud Barak had informed French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner that "Israel intends on opening a large-scale military operation to educate the Lebanese Army and avenge the death of the senior Israeli officer."

 

This allegedly led to high-rank contacts involving French President Nicolas Sarkozy, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as well as Egyptian, Jordanian and other Arab state officials.

 

According to the report, the pressure managed to defuse tensions and prevent another northern campaign.

 

The French sources reported that the pressure's results were evident in Barak's statements when he said that "Israel didn't plan the incident, nor did the Lebanese Army." They added that the fact that Hezbollah did not interfere in the violence "pushed Lebanon away from a new war which would have been started as a result of one side or another's misconception."

 

According to the report, Israel knew it wasn't in its interest to fight the LAF since it's the only element able to "solve the issue of south Lebanon and enforce the country's rule in the area."

 

French officials believe they succeeded in opening a clean slate after the incident and that the current peaceful state will last. Nevertheless, the report noted that Israel had asked Paris to stop supplying the LAF with weapons since they were directed against Israeli forces and may reach Hezbollah.

 

It was further claimed that France rejected the appeal due to its commitments under a defense pact signed with Beirut. A delay had been detected in the arming of Lebanese fighter jets with air-to-surface French missiles, it was noted.

 

French officials said in response that the delay was caused by the fact that "Lebanon suffers from a funding issue" as well as internal Lebanese conflicts.

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
43 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב