Police face arson wave - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Raging Fire

Putting out fire in Ein Hod village Photo: Moran Yona
Putting out fire in Ein Hod village Photo: Moran Yona
 
 

Police face arson wave

Arsonists aiming to distract forces battling massive blaze, police officials say; alert level raised

Eli Senyor
Published: 12.03.10, 22:14 / Israel News

Dozens of blazes were reported across Israel Friday, on top of the massive forest fire still raging in northern Israel, as the police raised its alert level nationwide.

 

Police officials suspect that many of the latest blazes were set by arsonists.

 

Police sources estimated that the culprits are taking advantage of the situation in the north and are attempting to distract forces dealing with the massive fire by producing additional emergency events.

 

National Disaster
Hezbollah overjoyed by fire / Roee Nachmias
Arab media disparages Israel over disaster; Officials in Jerusalem: PR damage huge
Full Story
Security forces in southern Israel reported several small fires, and firefighters put out two other blazes near the garbage dump next to Tayibe in central Israel. Many other fires were reported in various sites in the north. A bicycle and a wig were found next to a fire that broke out in the town of Kiryat Bialik in the Haifa District, reinforcing suspicions of arson.

 

A few blazes originating simultaneously in different sites west of the northern town of Shfar'am also appeared intentional. Arson was investigated in the case of a brushfire that was set between the Mashad and Ilut villages.

 

Police Commissioner Dudi Cohen instructed police commanders to send officers to areas where fires break out and monitor suspicious individuals.

 

Two residents of the Druze town of Daliyat al-Karmel, both in their 30s, who threw a bottle in the Mount Carmel area were arrested for allegedly attempting to start a fire. Police officials later said no wrongdoing had been established with certainty.

 

Cohen said that the Carmel forest fire originated in one site, but noted that it is unclear whether it was caused by arson or negligence. He said that an assessment on the matter is to be presented by Saturday morning.

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
12 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב