The Turkish Justice Ministry on Tuesday announced that the State Prosecutor's Office has completed its probe into the IDF raid on the Turkish Marmara ship in May 2010, which resulted in the deaths of nine pro-Palestinian activists.
- Swedish activists plan new Gaza convoy Turkey dropping Marmara lawsuits
- Exclusive: The battle on the Marmara
Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin said that his bureau had approached the Israeli Foreign Ministry in a request to receive a list of the names of Israeli soldiers who are supposed to stand trial. "When we receive the information, we will issue indictments to the relevant courts," Ergin told Turkish news agency Anatolya.
The chances of Israel granting Turkey's request are slim.
Marmara ship after return to Turkey (Photo: AFP)
Last year Turkish media outlets reported that Turkish intelligence sources handed authorities a list of 174 IDF officers and soldiers who were involved in the raid. However, Ankara soon realized that the list – which included named of soldiers who had nothing to do with the raid or were discharged prior to the incident – was inaccurate.
The Turkel Committee, which was appointed by the Israeli government following the event, collected testimonies from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Ehud Barak and then IDF Chief of Staff Gabi Ashkenazi. In its conclusions, the committee determined that the IDF acted appropriately throughout the incident.
Turkey also appointed a commission of inquiry, which determined that the naval blockade on Gaza was illegal and that Israel violated international law when it raided the Marmara vessel.
The UN-appointed Palmer committee determined in September 2011 that the blockade on Gaza is legal, but accused Israel of using excessive force during the operation.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop