CTB: Israelis should leave Sinai at once - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Travel Warning

Egyptians soldiers in Sinai Photo: EPA
Egyptians soldiers in Sinai Photo: EPA
 
 

CTB: Israelis should leave Sinai at once

Counter-Terrorism Bureau issues repeated warning against travel to Sinai Peninsula, citing concrete info on terror groups' intention to carry out attacks against Israeli citizens

Attila Somfalvi
Published: 08.02.12, 19:55 / Israel News

The Counter-Terrorism Bureau at the National Security Council on Thursday issued a repeated travel warning to the Sinai Peninsula, calling on all Israelis who are planning to travel to or who are currently staying in Sinai to return to Israel immediately.

 

Related stories:

 

A travel warning to the area has been in place for a long time, however the Bureau is now reiterating its call, citing terror groups' intention to carry out attacks against Israeli citizens.

 

The Bureau stated that it has obtained concrete information on terror organizations in Gaza Strip and other elements that are planning terror attacks and abductions of Israeli tourists in Sinai.

 


סיני, שלווה מתעתעת  (צילום: אביגיל עוזי) 

Not safe for Israelis. Sinai Peninsula (Photo: Avigail Uzi)

 

The statement also requested that relatives of Israelis who are currently in Sinai to inform them about the travel warning.

 

Despite the alarming announcement, a source at the border crossing between Israel and Egypt claimed that only 2,000 people crossed over into Sinai in the past two days, few of which were Israelis.

 

The source told Ynet that since the revolution in Egypt, Israelis have become more attentive to travel advisories, and most of those who enter Egypt these days are either Israeli-Arabs, or Israelis who head for the casinos in Taba. Only few, the source added, were backpackers heading to Sinai's beach resorts.

 

In recent weeks, a number of attempts to carry out attacks against Israeli citizens and soldiers near the Egypt border have been thwarted.

 

Last week, armed terrorists opened fire at a bus carrying soldiers near the Ein Netafim area. Last month, Border Guard officers shot two suspects, apparently from Gaza, who crossed the border fence from Sinai and entered Israel. One man was killed and the other one sustained injuries. The incident occurred at the section of the border where the fence has yet to be completed.

 

Several weeks ago, a terrorist cell opened fire at a group of construction workers who were building the border fence. Said Phashpashe, 36, from Haifa, was killed in the incident. Two of the terrorists were later killed by IDF forces that arrived at the scene.

 

 

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
36 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions