Netanyahu condemns Jerusalem lynch - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Strong Message

Benjamin Netanyahu Photo: Moshe Milner, GPO
Benjamin Netanyahu Photo: Moshe Milner, GPO
 
 

Netanyahu condemns Jerusalem lynch

Five days after brutal assault of Arab youth by Jewish teens, PM vows to reject all manifestations of racism and violence. 'As Jews and Israelis we cannot accept this,' he says

Attila Somfalvi
Published: 08.21.12, 17:53 / Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the lynching of an Arab youth by Jewish teens in Jerusalem on Tuesday. "This is something we cannot accept – not as Jews and not as Israelis," he said.

 

"The State of Israel does not tolerate racism and the combination of racism and violence."

 

Related stories:

 

The victim, aged 17, is still hospitalized at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in serious condition. The prime minister said he had spoken to the hospital's director and inquired after the victims' condition.

 

The prime minister made the statements before signing a treaty for the promotion of integration of Ethiopians in Israel and the prevention of racism and discrimination.


כיכר ציון בשבוע שעבר לאחר הלינץ' (צילום: אברהם ברגמן, סוכנות הידיעות "חדשות 24")

Jerusalem's Zion Square after assault (Photo: Avraham Bergman, News 24)

 

"This is not our way, it goes against our values and we strongly condemn it," he said. Netanyahu added that the state is working to bring those responsible "for this heinous crime" to justice.

 

"It must be made clear: the State of Israel is democratic and enlightened; a country where all leaders stand against such phenomenon.

 

"This is what sets us apart from our surroundings and will continue to set us apart. I hope that one day our surroundings will change. But we will stay consistent in our complete rejection of racism and violence."

 

Earlier on Tuesday, the Jerusalem Magistrate's Court extended the remand of a 14-year-old suspect in the attack by six days. On Monday, the suspect said in court, "If it were up to me, I would kill him."

 

Two other suspects aged 15 and 17 were remanded in custody for six days.

 

The court further decided to release two teen suspects to house arrest. A total of seven suspects have thus been arrested in connection with the assault.

 

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
37 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    רשימת יישובים במרחב