The Gaza rocket barrage on Israel's southern communities continues unabated. Ten rockets were fired at the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council. There were no injuries.
The Iron Dome system intercepted one rocket over Ashkelon after intercepting seven more earlier on Wednesday. In total, more than 60 rockets were fired at Israel since Tuesday night.
- Southern residents: We're living on borrowed time
- Hamas: Israel getting back at us over Qatari's visit
- 2 badly hurt in ongoing rocket attack on south
Three foreign workers at the Eshkol Regional Council were injured on Wednesday. Two of the three sustained serious wounds and one sustained light wounds. They were rushed to the Soroka Medical Center in Beersheba.
A woman residing at the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council was lightly wounded after running to a shelter. She was taken to the Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon. Five houses suffered a direct hit.
Defense Minister Ehud Barak and Southern Command chief Major-General Tal Russo also visited southern Israel in the wake of the recent escalation.
Asked to comment on the tough allegations leveled by residents of the Gaza vicinity area, Russo said, "I'm in constant contact with the residents and I know what's been going on here for the past 13 years. I genuinely think the residents lead a normal life and we will ensure their safety."
Direct hit in south (Photo: Reuters)
Barak also addressed the matter, saying: "Our struggle has not ended and will not end next week either. When comparing our operational activity and our fortified facilities to previous years, there has been a significant improvement. Slowly but surely, even our Iron Dome System is yielding better results. It's not perfect. This isn't Scandinavia, we will continue fighting," he said.
Barak further said that "the issue of securing the southern communities is problematic. If there were simple solutions, we would have used them a long time ago. We need a practical, serious and responsible solution. I salute the local residents of southern Israel for their fortitude, but they need additional support and security."
IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz held a situation assessment in which senior IDF officers reviewed possible retaliation to the rocket barrage. He later toured communities that were affected by the attack.
Ilana Curiel and Yoav Zitun contributed to this report
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop