According to Iranian official news agency IRNA, the 'Shahid Naqdi' corvette and a freighter left from a port in southern Iran last month, passed through the Red Sea and docked at a port in the east African country.
- Sudan blames 'Zionist-American plot' for unrest
- Sudanese VP: Israel needs to be deterred
- Report: CIA chief says US not involved in Khartoum attack
According to the Iranian report, the ships arrived to "convey a message of peace and friendship to the region's countries and to provide safety at sea in light of maritime terrorism."
US says not invovled in 'Israeli attack'
Local Sudanese newspaper al-Intiba reported Monday that CIA Director David Petraeus called Sudanese deputy intelligence head Saleh A-Tayeb, shortly after the alleged Israeli attack in Khartoum.
In his call, Petraeus reportedly denied reports indicating that the US had early knowledge of the attack.
According to the report, the US tried to contact Sudan officials shortly after they had blamed Israel for the attack, and denied reports claiming it had assisted Israel in its strike.
The Sudanese paper quoted an official as saying that the Americans are fearful for the safety of diplomats in Khartoum.
According to the official, the US asked that Sudan guarantee the safety of American diplomats currently based in Khartoum.
The source further added that the Sudanese official explained Sudan's position to Petraeus, adding that it bares the responsibility of protecting the foreign citizens residing in the African country.
However, he explained that despite the US' denial of direct involvement in the attack, it could have applied pressure on Israel and prevented the Jewish state from taking certain steps.
The explosion in the Khartoum arms factory occurred last week. Shortly after the attack, a Sudanese minister said that the factory was attacked by four military planes.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop