World powers seek Iran atom talks in February - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Nuclear Talks

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad Photo: AFP
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad Photo: AFP
 
 

World powers seek Iran atom talks in February

Ashton spokesman says Iran did not accept P5+1 offer to meet in Istanbul in late January, 'so we have offered new dates.' Iran FM: We are ready to negotiate until result is reached

Reuters
Published: 01.28.13, 17:19 / Israel News

World powers have asked Iran to hold a new round of talks over its nuclear work in February, while expressing disappointment over Tehran's reluctance to schedule negotiations.

 

A spokesman for the EU's foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said on Monday Iran had not agreed to her proposal, issued on behalf the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany, to meet at the end of January.

 

"Iran did not accept our offer to go to Istanbul on January 28 and 29 and so we have offered new dates in February," Michael Mann told a news briefing in Brussels.

 

Related stories:

 

"We have continued to offer dates since December. We are disappointed the Iranians have not yet agreed," he said.

 

The next round of discussions had originally been slated for January but progress has been beset by wrangling between the two sides.

 


Michael Mann, spokesman of European Union Foreign Policy Chief Catherine Ashton, attends a meeting with the media in Moscow, June 18, 2012. REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin/Files

Michael Mann (Photo: Reuters)

 

Iranian officials deny they are to blame for the delays and say Western countries are responsible for waiting until after the US presidential election in November, which resulted in lost opportunities.

 

"We have always said that we are ready to negotiate until a result is reached and we have never broken off discussions," state news agency IRNA quoted Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi as saying on Monday.

 

The six countries, known collectively as P5+1, met Iranian negotiators in three rounds of talks last year but made no breakthrough.

 

Iran has refused to halt all uranium enrichment and demanded relief from international economic sanctions before it takes any steps. But it has previously suggested it may be willing to halt higher-grade enrichment - a central concern - if its needs are met and its right to enrich is formally recognized.

 

Ashton is overseeing diplomatic contacts on behalf of the powers hoping to persuade Tehran to scale back its nuclear work. The six powers are concerned Iran is seeking to reach the capability to build nuclear weapons, but Tehran denies that.

  

Mann said, however, that Iranian negotiators have put up new conditions for resuming negotiations but that EU powers were concerned that might be a delaying tactic.

 

Salehi has suggested holding the next round of talks in Cairo but that the P5+1 wanted to meet elsewhere. He also said Sweden, Kazakhstan and Switzerland have offered to host the talks.

 

 

  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
6 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions