Lebanese Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour said Sunday that last week's airstrike in Syria "is aggression against Lebanon." He further added, "Israel deserves harsh responses and a tough boycott on the economic, political and diplomatic levels."
Speaking before travelling to Cairo to attend a conference of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation Mansour said, "Israeli jets continue to invade Lebanon's airspace every day. We must stand up against the Israeli attacks but not just with calls, statements and condemnation."
- Assad: Strike aimed at destabilizing Syria
- IDF chief Gantz visits Washington
- Erdogan: History will not forgive Israel
Meanwhile, Sky News Arabia reported of a blast in eastern Tyre in Lebanon. According to the report, Israeli warplanes circled in the sky at the time of the blast. Al-Nahar TV said that the target was an electronic facility in the Hezbollah-controlled area.
However, Hezbollah TV denied the report claiming the blast was caused by a stun grenade. Lebanon's state news agency also said the explosion involved a grenade.
SA-17 missiles. Before and after?
Earlier on Sunday, Kuwaiti newspaper al-Rai quoted Hezbollah officials as saying that Syrian President Bashar Assad "will not get dragged into war with Israel" explaining that the Syrian army "is not ready for such a conflict."
The sources further claimed that by launching the strike in Syria, Israel was trying to drag Assad into war. "It thought it could interfere in what goes on in Syria with the US's blessing by bombing hundreds of other targets in a short amount of time," al-Rai said.
In the four days preceding the strike, Israel's Air Force increased its aerial maneuvers over Lebanon, the Hezbollah sources said. Starting with five planes a day, the Air Force eventually launched 40 jets into Lebanon.
"The goal of those maneuvers was to confirm the targets. Israel likely prepared to bomb strategic targets belonging to the Syrian regime in order to undermine victories won by Assad's forces in Damascus and its suburbs over the past few weeks."
Meanwhile, the Hezbollah-affiliated Al Mayadeen TV station reported that the Lebanese Armed Forces stopped two weapons trucks near a cemetery in the Beqaa Valley and that soldiers were taking out and transferring the weapons.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop