Nuclear talks between Iran
and world powers this week
were more constructive and positive than in the past, but Iran's willingness to negotiate seriously will not become clear until an April meeting, a senior Western diplomat said on Thursday.
The diplomat was more upbeat about the talks in Kazakhstan than other Western officials have been, suggesting there could be a chance of diplomatic progress in the long standoff over Iran's nuclear activities.
"This was more constructive and more positive than previous meetings because they were really focusing on the proposal on the table," said the diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Years of on-off talks between Iran and the six powers have produced no breakthrough in the dispute over the nuclear program, which Iran says is peaceful
but that Western powers suspect is aimed at developing a nuclear bomb capability.
Talks in Kazakhstan (Photo: AP)
Iran has faced tightening international sanctions
over its nuclear program and Israel
has strongly hinted it might attack Iran if diplomacy and sanctions fail.
At the latest talks, the six powers offered modest sanctions relief
in return for Iran curbing its most sensitive nuclear work.
"We show a way into the easing of sanctions. We don't give away the crown jewels in the first step," the diplomat said.
The two sides agreed to hold expert-level talks in Istanbul on March 18 to discuss the powers' proposals, and to return to Almaty for political discussions on April 5-6.
The March meeting will be a chance for experts to explain in detail what the six powers' offer means, the senior Western diplomat said, adding that the April meeting would be key.
"This will be the important meeting. We'll see if they are willing to engage seriously on the package," the
Western officials said the six powers' offer included easing a ban on trade in gold
and other precious metals and relaxation of an import embargo on Iranian petrochemical
In exchange, a senior US official said, Iran would among other things have to suspend uranium enrichment to a fissile concentration of 20% at its Fordo
underground facility and "constrain the ability to quickly resume operations there".
The US official did not term what was being asked of Iran as a "shutdown" of the plant, as Western diplomats had said in previous meetings with Iran last year.
The senior Western diplomat denied the six powers had softened their position on Fordo, but conceded: "We may have softened our terminology."
The diplomat sketched out a step-by-step approach, saying the six powers' proposals offered Iran the prospect of further steps in return for Iranian actions beyond a first confidence-building step.
"There has to
be a clear sequencing," the diplomat said, without giving details.
Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili said on Wednesday the six powers had tried to "get closer to our viewpoint", which he said was positive.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop