Yemen drone strike kills 4 Qaeda terrorists - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Terror Group

Orange marks US embassies still closed. Black: Reopened embassies (Photo: AP)
Orange marks US embassies still closed. Black: Reopened embassies (Photo: AP) 
 
 

Yemen drone strike kills 4 Qaeda terrorists

Tribal leaders say five missiles struck vehicle travelling in Maarib Province, killing all occupants; targeted killing comes amid US warning of possible terror attack in region

Reuters
Published: 08.06.13, 10:11 / Israel News

At least four suspected al-Qaeda members were killed in a drone strike in central Yemen, local tribal leaders said on Tuesday, following a US warning of a possible major terrorist attack in the region.

 

The warning issued by Washington on Friday has prompted the closure of several Western embassies in Yemen and several US missions across the Middle East and Africa.

  

Related stories:

 

The New York Times reported on Monday that the closure of the US embassies was prompted by intercepted communication between al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahri and Nasser al-Wuhaishi, head of Yemen-based al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

 

The Yemeni tribal leaders said five missiles struck a vehicle travelling in Maarib Province in Tuesday's strike, killing all of its occupants.

 

State news agency Saba also said initial reports indicated that four suspected al-Qaeda terrorists were killed in the airstrike in Maarib, but gave no further details.

 

Video courtesy of jn1.tv   

 

Drone strikes on suspected al-Qaeda targets in Yemen are usually carried out by US forces, although Washington does not comment publicly on the practice.

 

Security in Yemen is a global concern as it is home to AQAP, considered one of the most aggressive branches of the global terrorist organization, and shares a long border with Saudi Arabia, a US ally and the world's top oil exporter.

 

Orange marks US embassies still closed. Black: Reopened embassies (Photo: AP)
Orange marks US embassies still closed. Black: Reopened embassies (Photo: AP)

 

The US government backs Yemeni forces with funds and logistical support.

 

Yemeni authorities issued a statement early on Tuesday listing 25 "most wanted terrorists" it said were planning to carry out attacks in the country during the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday this week.

 

The statement offered a reward of five million Yemeni riyals ($23,000) for information leading to the capture of the al-Qaeda suspects.

 

A Sept. 11 attack last year killed the US ambassador to Libya and three other Americans in Benghazi.

 

US Republican Senator Lindsey Graham told CNN at the weekend that the recent actions taken to close the embassies showed President Barack Obama's administration had learned lessons from Benghazi.

 

 

 

  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
4 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions