Egypt's Al Youm Al-Sabaa newspaper is claiming that former Egyptian
President Hosni Mubarak recently said that several months prior to his ouster, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
had approached him with an offer to resettle Gaza's residents in Sinai. According to the report, Mubarak rejected the proposal.
The paper said it will release a tape in which Mubarak is heard making the statements in the coming days. It was claimed that Netanyahu was "testing the waters" and was told by Mubarak "forget it, unless you want war." It was further reported that Mubarak had claimed to have been presented with a map of Gaza's borders during one of his meetings with Netanyahu.
The report further stated that the former Egyptian president had claimed that the US "started the January 25 revolution as early as 2005."
Mubarak recently commented on the ouster of Mohamed Morsi saying that Egypt's next president should come from army ranks. He nevertheless came out against Sami Anan, who served as chief of staff during Mubarak's tenure and was mentioned as a possible contender.
He further claimed that Muslim Brotherhood supporters who demonstrated at the Rabaa al-Adwiya Mosque had been paid for the protest. He also blamed Hamas
for the murder of Egyptian troops in Sinai. "Morsi couldn't investigate it as they were the ones who smuggled him during the revolution," he said.
Referring to the massacre of 25 Egyptian policemen last month he remarked, "Israel
wouldn't have done such a thing. As far as the Muslim Brotherhood go, they're crazy. They're in a state of madness."
The ousted leader attended a hearing as part of his retrial on Saturday, for the second time since his release. He was convicted of failing to prevent the deaths of 900 protesters two years ago, but his life sentence was canceled earlier this year.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop