PMO: PM slammed housing minister for settlement plans - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Settlement Plans

Benjamin Netanyahu (Archives) Photo: Kobi Gideon, GPO
Benjamin Netanyahu (Archives) Photo: Kobi Gideon, GPO
 
 

PMO: PM slammed housing minister for settlement plans

Netanyahu says plan will cause conflict at time when country trying to convince world powers not to go soft on Iran agreement, construction would make 'no contribution' to settlements

Attila Somfalvi
Published: 11.13.13, 00:47 / Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told Housing Minister Uri Ariel to reexamine the plan to build thousands of housing units in the West Bank. According to a PMO statement, Netanyahu slammed Ariel for "circulating the plan without coordination."

 

Netanyahu said any further settlement construction may stir "unnecessary clashes with the international community – at a time when we are making an effort to convince the international community to reach a better agreement with Iran."

 

Related stories:

 

In a statement issued late Tuesday evening, Netanyahu said the plan would make "no contribution" to settlements and would only hurt the cause.

 

The statement said his Housing Minister Uri Ariel had accepted the request.

 

The plan announced by Israel's Housing Ministry earlier in the day, prompted a Palestinian threat to walk out of Mideast peace talks. US officials said they were blindsided by the Israeli announcement and demanded an explanation.

 

In Washington, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the White House had been caught off guard by the earlier announcement to study settlement expansion.

 

"We were surprised by these announcements, and are currently seeking further explanation from the government of Israel," she said.

 

"Our position on settlements is quite clear – we do not accept the legitimacy of continued settlement activity. We've called on both sides to take steps to create a positive atmosphere for the negotiations," she added.

 

Under heavy US pressure, the Palestinians dropped a longstanding demand for a halt in settlement construction and agreed to renew peace talks with Israel in late July after a nearly five-year break.

 

To lure the Palestinians back to the table, Israel agreed to release 104 of the longest-serving Palestinian prisoners, all convicted in violent attacks on Israelis. The Palestinians also say they received assurances that settlement construction would be constrained.

 

Both sides have said the negotiations have made no progress. The situation deteriorated further late last month when Israel announced plans to build thousands of new homes in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.

 

In an interview broadcast on Israeli and Palestinan TV last week, US Secretary of State John Kerry said continued settlement construction raised questions about Israel's seriousness about pursuing peace. Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator said there have been no negotiations for the past week.

 

AP contributed to this report

 

 

  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
28 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    רשימת יישובים במרחב