The announcement by federal prosecutors that they will seek the death penalty against the man accused in the Boston Marathon bombing came as no surprise to people who lost limbs or suffered other injuries in last year's attack.
But the victims and their families expressed a range of emotions about the decision Thursday to seek the execution of a 20-year-old former student prosecutors accuse of committing one of the worst terror attacks on US soil since Sept. 11, 2011.
"It shows people that if you are going to terrorize our country, you are going to pay with your life," said Marc Fucarile, of Stoneham, who lost his right leg above the knee and suffered other severe injuries in the bombing.
But the grandmother of a 29-year-old woman killed in the attack said she isn't sure she supports the death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, yet she fears that prison wouldn't be enough punishment for him.
"I don't know, because it's not going to bring her back," said Lillian Campbell, grandmother of Krystle Campbell. "I don't even like to discuss it because it makes me so upset. She was my granddaughter and I miss her so much." (AP)