US officials confirm: Syria suicide bomber was American citizen - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
American Bombers

The American suicide bomber in Syria.
The American suicide bomber in Syria. 
 
Explosions in Syria
Explosions in Syria 
 
 

US officials confirm: Syria suicide bomber was American citizen

Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha was raised in Florida before commiting terrorist act for al Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Ahiya Raved and Yoav Zitun
Published: 05.31.14, 08:50 / Israel News

WASHINGTON - The US State Department on Friday confirmed that an American citizen had carried out a suicide bombing in Syria.

 

 

"The American citizen involved in the suicide bombing in Syria is believed to be Moner Mohammad Abu-Salha," State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement.

 

The American suicide bomber in Syria.
The American suicide bomber in Syria.

 

The New York Times, which first reported the name of the suicide bomber, said he grew up in Florida and traveled to Syria last year.

 

Related Stories

 

A US security official said US agencies were aware before the suicide bombing that the American had traveled to Syria to join militants. The official declined to give further details.

 

The official said that unlike some other foreign fighters in Syria, the American suicide bomber was not known to have posted messages on Twitter or other social media websites.

 

The bomber, who used the nom de guerre Abu Hurayra al-Amriki, carried out one of four suicide bombings on May 25 in Syria's Idlib province on behalf of Jabhat al-Nusra, al Qaeda's affiliate fighting to oust the government of President Bashar al-Assad.

 

Meanwhile, sirens blared across several towns in Israel's Golan region early Saturday morning - assumed by officials to be a result of battles in Syria near the Israeli border. The IDF immediately began investigations to determine if any rockets fell in Israeli territory.

  

Ynet readers reported hearing several explosions. The Golan Regional Council reported that after a short while they were told it was safe to return to normal activities.

 

Reuters contributed to this report.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
4 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב: