The IDF was considering its next move in the Gaza Strip on Tuesday, following the finding of the bodies of the three Israeli kidnapped teens.
"We're preparing a plan to advance an operation in the Strip. The objective is to avoid escalation and act responsibly," an IDF source said.
The Israeli Air Force (IAF) carried out 34 attacks on terrorist targets in several different sections of the Gaza Strip overnight, targeting structures and even some open areas, the IDF spokesperson confirmed late Tuesday.
The attack's objective was "to prevent the continuation of rocket fire at Israel. If we see Hamas heading towards a confrontation, we'll go there," the source said.
According to the reports, one of the areas was a site in the area of Khan Yunis controlled by Hamas' military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, where 4 were said to be wounded and another missing.
Attacks were also reported near Rafah in the southern area of the Strip on structures belonging to other terrorist organizations active in the area.
According to the Palestinians, an Israeli helicopter attack near Beit Lahia caused significant damage to houses belonging to local residents.
The IDF Spokesperson said that the Monday night attack was in response to a rocket fired earlier by Palestinian terrorists that struck an open area in the Eshkol Regional Council.
No injuries or damage was reported as a result of the initial rocket fire, but four additional rockets were launched from Gaza after the IAF attacks. One fell in an open area in Sdot Negev while another caused damage to several vehicles in a village near the Eshkol Regional Council.
A third rocket set a fire near a packaging factory in Eshkol, but no injuries were reported and the fire was successfully extinguished.
A fourth rocket exploded near a community in the Hof Ashkelon Regional Council. No injuries were reported.
Palestinian media also reported the death of another man in the Jenin refugee camp in the West Bank after clashes broke out with IDF troops in the area.
Earlier in the day the bodies of the three kidnapped Israeli teens who were kidnapped over two weeks ago were discovered by security forces just north of Hebron.
The Cabinet concluded a meeting in the evening regarding Israel's reaction to Hamas after the discovery of the three murdered teens. Additional meetings are expected as the Cabinet discussions only finished after midnight Monday without reaching any concrete decisions.
The two prime suspects in the kidnapping, Amar Abu-Eisha, 33, and Marwan Kawasmeh, 29, haven't yet been captured and IDF officials vowed Monday that operations against Hamas would continue.
One hundred Palestinians rioted near the home of Kawasmeh in the evening. They rolled garbage bins and threw rocks at IDF forces. The soldiers responded with crowd dispersal measures, like tear gas.
In several places, rioters also burned tires. Earlier Monday, Palestinians clashed with IDF forces in the Halhul area, where the bodies of the boys were discovered. Some 200 Palestinians threw rocks at security forces, who responded with riot dispersal measures.
Dozens of settlers gathered in a junction nearby, waiving Israeli flags and blocking the passage of vehicles with Palestinian license plates.
After the discovery of the boys' bodies, the IDF blocked off all the entrances to Hebron.
International leaders voiced solidarity with Israel in wake of the murders but also voiced concern that the security situation could rapidly deteriorate and urged both Israelis and Palestinians to act with restraint.