Netanyahu phones father of murdered Palestinian teen - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Savage Murder

Prime Minister Netanyahu Photo: Gil Yohanan
Prime Minister Netanyahu Photo: Gil Yohanan
 
 

Netanyahu phones father of murdered Palestinian teen

Prime minister promises Mohammed Abu Khdeir's killers will be prosecuted 'to the full extent of the law.'

Reuters
Published: 07.07.14, 23:55 / Israel News

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu phoned Monday the father of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, the Palestinian teen brutally murdered last week, to promise that the attackers would be prosecuted, the government said.

 

 

The burnt body of 16-year-old Khdeir was discovered in a Jerusalem forest. Six Jews have been arrested in what police suspect was a revenge attack for the abduction and killing of three Jewish youths.

 

"I wish to express my shock and the shock of Israel's citizens over the despicable murder of your son," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the father, Hussein Abu Khdeir, according to the statement.

 

Related stories:

 

"The murderers will be brought to trial and prosecuted to the full extent of the law," the prime minister added, according to the statement, a day after Israel announced that six Jewish suspects, whom it did not identify, were in custody.

 

Hussein Abu Khedir was not immediately available for comment. Other family members, echoing Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, have accused far-right Jewish settlers of killing the teenager.

 

The youngster's death has triggered street clashes between angry Palestinians and Israeli police in East Jerusalem, violence that has spread to Arab towns and villages across Israel.

 

Israelis also have been angered by the deaths of the three Jewish teens, who disappeared in the occupied West Bank on June 12. Their bodies were found in the territory last Monday.

 

Israel says that Hamas militants killed them – an allegation the Islamist group, now locked in daily cross-border fighting with Israel along the Gaza frontier – has neither accepted nor denied.

 

After the Israeli youngsters' funerals on Tuesday, crowds in Jerusalem blocked roads and chanted "Death to Arabs". Several people tried to attack passing Arabs.

 

Israel's outgoing president, Shimon Peres, and his successor, Reuven Rivlin, promised in a joint editorial published in Yedioth Ahronoth, the country's best-selling newspaper on Monday, there would be no cover-up in the investigation of the Palestinian's death.

 

"The bloodshed will stop only when we all understand that it is not our unhappy fate to live together, but rather our destiny to do so," Peres, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, and Rivlin, a veteran right-wing politician, wrote.

 

The mother of one of the three Israeli youths whose bodies were found last month joined in condemning Abu Khdeir's slaying.

 

"We share the pain of Mohammed's parents," Rachel Frenkel said in a statement to television cameras.

 

"It is difficult for me to describe how distressed we are by the outrage committed."

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
7 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions