Report: Kidnapped Israelis shot 10 times with silenced gun - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Kidnapped?

 

Report: Kidnapped Israelis shot 10 times with silenced gun

US investigation contradicts Israeli claims that boys were kidnapped, says initial investigation findings indicate boys' murder was premeditated.

Reuters
Published: 07.09.14, 15:30 / Israel News

Three Israeli teenagers who were abducted by Palestinians in the West Bank last month were shot at least 10 times with a silenced gun in what appeared to be premeditated killings, a US official involved in the investigation said.

 

 

The disclosure clashed with speculation by some Israeli and Palestinian commentators that the captors intended to take hostages for a prisoner exchange but panicked and shot them. One of three, 16-year-old Naftali Fraenkel, also held American citizenship.

 

 Missing since hitch-hiking home on June 12, their bodies were discovered on June 30. Israel blamed Hamas for their deaths but

the Palestinian Islamist group has neither confirmed nor denied the allegation.

 

One of the three Israelis, Gil-Ad Shaer, 16, telephoned police and said "They've kidnapped me!" after he, Fraenkel and 19-year-old Eyal Yifrah got into a car which investigators suspect was driven by a Hamas terrorists posing as a religious Jew. A second disguised gunman sat in the front passenger seat.

 

A US official involved in the probe said the FBI, whose mandate includes Americans abducted abroad, received a recording of the distress call from Israel within days and sent it for audio analysis in the United States.

 

Distorted, tinny reports heard on the tape after an Arabic-accented male voice shouts "Head down!" in response to Shaer's attempt to raise the alarm were found to be consistent with shots from a silenced firearm, the US official said.

 

"There were 10 gunshots," added the official, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity.

 

The use of a silencer led US investigators to believe the captors planned to kill the three teenagers from the outset, the US official said.

 

Israeli officials declined to respond to the American account of the investigation, saying it was still ongoing.

 

"We haven't even caught the kidnappers yet, so we're not going public with anything more now," said an official with the Shin Bet security service, which is in charge of the case.

 

Israeli police believe the killings led far-right Jews to kidnap and burn to death a Palestinian youth Mohammed Abu Khdeir in revenge, and the incident also contributed to an eruption of three weeks of clashes between Hamas fighters in the Gaza Strip and the Israeli military.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
12 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions