Obama: Israel has right to defend against rockets - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Self Defense

US President Obama Photo: AP
US President Obama Photo: AP
 
 

Obama: Israel has right to defend against rockets

American president says US will use all its diplomatic resources to secure ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The Associated Press
Published: 07.17.14, 02:14 / Israel News

President Barack Obama said Wednesday that Israel has a right to defend itself against rocket attacks, but also lamented the deaths of civilians in Gaza. He stressed the need to protect civilians in Gaza and in Israel and to avoid further escalation.

 

 

He stressed that the United States will use all its diplomatic resources and relationships to secure a deal on a cease-fire to end violence between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip.

 

Obama said the US supports Egypt's continued efforts to restore the 2012 cease-fire. He said the US was working with its partners in the region to secure a cease-fire and would stay in close contact during the next 24 hours.

 

"There's no country on Earth that can be expected to live under a daily barrage of rockets," Obama said at the White House.

 

"But over the past two weeks, we've all been heartbroken by the violence, especially the death and injury of so many innocent civilians in Gaza – men, women and children who were caught in the crossfire. That's why we have been working with our partners in the region to pursue a cease-fire, to protect civilians on both sides.

 

"Now, yesterday Israel did agree to a cease-fire. Unfortunately, Hamas continued to fire rockets at civilians, thereby prolonging the conflict."

 

The Israeli military has agreed to a UN-brokered five-hour "humanitarian" pause starting Thursday in its strikes on the Gaza Strip to allow Palestinians to restock food, water and other necessities. An attack Wednesday by an Israeli naval vessel killed four Palestinian boys playing on the beach.

 

In response to a call by the UN, the Israeli military said in a statement Wednesday that it would hold its fire for five hours starting at 10 am. But it warned it will retaliate "firmly and decisively" if Hamas or other militant groups launch attacks on Israel during that time. It also said residents of three Gaza neighborhoods who on Wednesday asked to leave their homes should be out by the time the pause expires.

 

The announcement came after a day of Israeli airstrikes and Palestinian militant rocket attacks as Hamas formally rejected a cease-fire proposal that had been accepted by Israel to end the nine-day conflict that officials say has left at least 213 Palestinians and one Israeli dead.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
10 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    למציאת מרחב ההתגוננות האישי שלכם »
    פיקוד העורף מזכיר: יש לחכות 10 דקות במרחב המוגן לפני שיוצאים החוצה
    רשימת יישובים במרחב