The museum received excellent reviews from its visitors. "Not an easy place to visit, but I cannot think of any place more important to go," one review said.
"Everyone should go to see how plain and common the faces of evil were."
Yad Vashem Chairman Avner Shalev told Ynet in response that "the visitors' selection of Yad Vashem – the Memorial Mountain as a recommended and important site to visit also reflects the Holocaust's place as a pivotal cultural-historic event for the entire human society.
"This impressive and significant achievement is the result of a joint effort made by all the employees of Yad Vashem who are working, each in his own field, to provide the Memorial Mountain's visitors with a significant and high-quality experience."
The Israeli Holocaust memorial was included in TripAdvisor's list of the world's top 25 museums, which was published last week alongside a ranking of the 25 best museums in the United States. The Art Institute of Chicago ranked first in both categories.
The world's top 10 museums according to TripAdvisor:
- Art Institute of Chicago, Illinois
- National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia), Mexico City, Mexico
- State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace. St. Petersburg, Russia
- The Getty Center, Los Angeles, California
- Galleria dell'Accademia/Statue of David, Florence, Italy
- Musee d'Orsay, Paris, France
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, New York
- The Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
- Prado Museum, Madrid, Spain
- Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Jerusalem, Israel