UN: Israel razing Palestinian buildings at 'alarming' rate - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Illegal Construction

Illegally built EU structure in the West Bank
Illegally built EU structure in the West Bank 
 
Illegally built EU structure
Illegally built EU structure 
 
 

UN: Israel razing Palestinian buildings at 'alarming' rate

So far, 121 structures demolished in 2016, compared to 108 in all of 2015, UN figures show; COGAT: Structures built illegally, without obtaining permits.

AFP
Published: 03.08.16, 20:11 / Israel News

Israel is razing Palestinian homes and other buildings constructed with international aid at an "alarming" rate, the UN said Tuesday, with more demolitions so far this year than in all of 2015.

 

 

In total, 121 structures funded partly or fully by international donors, which Israel says were built illegally, were demolished in the West Bank between January 1 and March 2, overtaking the 108 from all of 2015, according to UN figures seen by AFP.

  

The projects include homes for Palestinians and at least one school, as well as temporary structures such as pens for animals and sheds.

 

Illegally built EU structure in the West Bank
Illegally built EU structure in the West Bank

 

COGAT, the Israeli defense ministry body responsible for implementing government policies in the Palestinian territories, declined to comment on the number of demolitions, saying only that it takes "enforcement steps against any illegal construction" after issuing demolition orders.

 

EU labelling fight

Moti Yogev, an MK from the far-right Bayit Yehudi party who heads an Knesset sub-committee on the West Bank, said the rise in demolitions was likely in response to European Union measures on imports of goods from Israeli settlements in the West Bank.

 

"I have no doubt that the government's firm stance is in part a result of the unilateral measures taken by Europe," Yogev told AFP.

 

In November, new EU guidelines were issued forcing member countries to label imported produce from the settlements, sparking condemnation from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

 

The UN's Piper said a number of factors may have contributed to the increase in demolitions, including the EU decision, and growing domestic pressure on the government amid a wave of Palestinian attacks.

 

Eitan Dangot, a former head of COGAT, told AFP that such a spike would ultimately be Netanyahu's decision. "In the end it is a policy of the prime minister and the government."

 

He said that many of the demolitions involve temporary structures. "It is things that are very light that are destroyed," he said.

 

The IDF says the homes have been built without permission from Israeli authorities.

 

Yogev said the EU was spending millions of euros per year on what he called "illegal construction".

  

"I call it construction terror," he said.

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us




 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions