Channels

Qatar says Gulf crisis has no impact on World Cup preparations
DOHA -- Qatar said on Thursday a rift with fellow Gulf Arab states that includes economic sanctions on Doha has not affected its preparations to host the 2022 World Cup, and alternative sources for construction materials had been secured.

 

Soccer's governing body FIFA said last week it was in "regular contact" with the 2022 World Cup organising committee of Qatar, after Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, along with Egypt, severed ties with Doha over alleged ties to terrorism - charges the Gulf state denies.

 

The 2022 World Cup is the centrepiece of a carefully crafted strategy to project Qatar onto the global stage via sport. The dispute could impact its preparations.

 

In the run-up to the tournament, Qatar is scheduled to host multiple events across many different sports, aimed at improving infrastructure and expertise.

 

"I can confirm to everybody that there is absolutely no impact on the progress of work in the Mondial facilities and that work is proceeding normally," said Ghanim al-Kuwari, executive director at the Qatari committee overseeing preparations for the World Cup.