Cleared for publication: A man suspected of carrying out the bombing attack
on a bus in central Tel Aviv Wednesday was apprehended by Israeli security forces within hours of the attack.
The suspected terrorist was apprehended in a joint operation conducted by the Shin Bet, Israel Police and the IDF.
Twenty-nine people were injured in the attack.
The Shin Bet said Thursday that the terrorist, an Israeli citizen who previously lived in the West Bank and was allowed to settle in Tayibe under the family reunification law, was recruited by a terror cell from the village of Beit Liqya, near Ramallah.
The terror cell members used a car belonging to the suspect's employer to transport the explosive device into Tel Aviv. The employer, an east Jerusalem
resident, had no knowledge of the plan.
Police roadblocks in Jerusalem area after attack (Photo: Ohad Zwigenberg)
According to the Shin Bet, the suspect planted the bomb on the bus and then called the terror cell's commander in Beit Liqya, who then activated the device via mobile phone. More arrests are expected.
During their interrogation the terror cell members, who are affiliated with Hamas
and Islamic Jihad,
admitted to preparing the explosive device and selecting Tel Aviv as the target. They purchased cell phones that were later used to detonate the device by remote control. A gag order has been issued over the suspects' identities.
The explosion occurred shortly before noon on bus line 142 on Shaul Hamelech Street, near the Kirya army compound. Of the 29 people who were injured in the attack, one sustained severe wounds, another suffered moderate injuries and the rest were lightly hurt.
The Shin Bet said the attack was apparently carried out in response the IDF's Operation Pillar of Defense