The Palestinian Authority has announced on Sunday that it has reached an agreement with the various factions and organizations whereby they would refrain from launching Qassam rocket or terror attacks from Gaza against Israel.
The official announcement was made to representatives of the Quartet, which includes the U.S., the EU, Russia and the U.N.
Later, senior Islamic Jihad leader in Gaza Khaled al-Batash confirmed that his group agreed to end Qassam rocket attacks from Gaza.
Al-Batash told journalists in the Strip the Islamic Jihad accepts the agreement reached with the Palestinian Authority and noted his group would honor the deal as long as Israel ends its Gaza attacks.
Hamas also confirmed an agreement is reached and said it was committed to the lull.
Palestinian sources informed Ynet of intense deliberations that were held during the night (between Saturday and Sunday) with the participation of Hamas and Islamic Jihad members. Eventually it was agreed that the firing of Qassam rockets and mortars toward Israel from Gaza would cease, as well as all other forms of armed attacks against Israeli targets.
Egypt was key in advancing the agreement, as it mediated between the sides during the weekend, Ynet has learned.
Hamas and Islamic Jihad have yet to respond to the details of the agreement, but representatives for the terror groups said they would maintain the right to respond to what they regard as an Israeli breach of the agreed-upon calm.
PA officials claim that for the time being the ball is in Israel’s court - yet they believe their Jewish partner has little interest in returning to the relative lull that has been pervading since August until the deadly suicide bombing in Hadera last week, reporting that IAF fighters were heard above Gaza well after Jerusalem received the news from Quartet representatives.
The announcement comes days following comments by Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz that Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas has so far "not lifted a finger" to disarm terror organizations.