Arresting wanted men in Nablus
Photo: AP

2 IDF officers severely injured in Nablus

Palestinians hurl four explosive devices at force entering West Bank city to carry out arrests. One officer, two soldiers moderately hurt; three sustain light wounds

An IDF officer was severely injured, three soldiers were moderately hurt and another three sustained light wounds as Palestinians hurled four explosive devices at a force operating in the West Bank city of Nablus on Wednesday night.


An officer who was moderately injured in one of the explosions was evacuated via helicopter to the Sheba Medical Center at Tel Hashomer, where his condition deteriorated and is now defined serious. Another three soldiers were evacuated by ambulance to the Rabin Medical Center in Petah Tikva.


Palestinian sources in Nablus reported that large IDF forces had entered the city and were operating in the old city and the Balata refugee camp.


The IDF reported that military activity against terror infrastructure in the West Bank continued early Thursday morning, and the forces entered Nablus for the purpose of arresting wanted Palestinians.


According to the IDF Spokesperson's Office, once the forces entered the city, some 50 Palestinians opened fire on them in two separate incidents. In both cases, no one was injured.


Two explosive devices were also hurled at the IDF forces, and no soldiers were injured. A third device was thrown at the soldiers shortly afterwards, leaving one IDF officer moderately injured from shrapnel.


Wednesday evening, IDF and Special Police Unit forces surrounded a building in the village of Brukin near Jenin where the IDF said wanted Palestinians were hiding.


Soldiers fired shots at two wanted Palestinians trying to flee the building, and moderately injured one of them. The injured Palestinian was taken to an Israeli hospital for medical treatment, and will be transferred for investigation from there.


During the operation, two other wanted Palestinians attempted to escape and were shot at by the Israeli troops, leaving one lightly wounded.


A few hours later the rest of the wanted Palestinians exited the besieged building and turned themselves in.


Ali Waked contributed to this report


פרסום ראשון: 06.28.07, 02:31
 new comment
This will delete your current comment