Reproduction Photo
Lyubov Razdolsky
Reproduction Photo
Photo: Michael Gedalin
Edward Gedalin: Still in danger
Photo: Michael Gedalin

'We heard dad was injured and knew immediately'

Lyubov Razdolsky, 73, a former physics professor, stopped to rest at Dimona commercial center when bombing occurred; she was killed immediately, her husband critically injured

Lyubov Razdolsky was on her way to the bank at the Dimona commercial center Monday along with her husband. As she stopped to rest a moment in the pleasant winter sunshine, a tremendous explosion took place.


Razdolsky was killed instantaneously, her husband Edward Gedalin remains in critical condition. He still remains hospitalized in the Soroka University Medical Center in Beersheba.


The couple immigrated to Israel from Russia in 1990, and worked in the physics department of Ben Gurion University until they retired in 2002. They were set to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary thus year.


Professor Michael Gedalin, the couple’s son, has followed in his parent’s footsteps and currently works as a professor in Ben Gurion University’s physics department. He told Ynet that he spoke to his mother briefly on the phone right before the suicide bombing took place.

Dimona bobing site (Photo: Reuters)


“When I spoke to my mother she told me that she was on her way to the bank, and a half an hour later I heard that a bombing took place,” said Gedalin. “I called her on her cellphone but she did not answer. When I could not reach my parents on their home phone as well, my brother Constantine and I went looking for them.”


Identifying remains 'long arduous process'

Gedalin immediately called the Soroka medical center, and was initially told that neither of his parents was not on the list of bombing casualties. When he later found out that his father was critically injured, however he says that “he knew that his mother and died because they had run their errands together."


Identifying his mother’s remains, recalls Gedalin, was a long and arduous process. “We went down to the Abu Kabir Forensic Institute, and they took a DNA sample from both of us. Only later on that night, around midnight, police officers showed up at our door and told us that our mother was positively identified.”


For brothers Michael and Constantine Gedalin, however, the ordeal is far from over. Still grieving the loss of their mother, they await word on their critically injured father still hospitalized at the Soroka Medical Center. He has undergone multiple surgeries so far, and is still fighting for his life.


פרסום ראשון: 02.05.08, 22:25
 new comment
This will delete your current comment