80 years of kibbutz life
Photography exhibit marking 80th anniversary of pioneering settlement organization "Hashomer Hatzair and The Kibbutz Artzi" to be launched next week in the Knesset. Here are some photos to be displayed at exhibition, commemorating moments of desperation and grief alongside hope and vision
One of the organization's duties was to unite efforts and resources in order to settle the land with the pioneering members' great faith in an equal, socialistic society, despite the shortage and poverty of those years.
Eight years have passed since that day. Amidst moments of desperation and grief, hope and vision, 85 kibbutzim were founded across the country and on its borders.
On the occasion of the 80th anniversary, a photography exhibit will be launched at the Knesset next Tuesday, including photographs by members of the Kibbutz Artzi.
In this article we present a number of photographs from this exhibition, which have been collected and stored at the Hashomer Hatzair archive in Givat Haviva.
An exhibition of the works of late photographer David Perlmuter of Kibbutz Kfar Menachem was opened at the Eretz Israel Museum in Tel Aviv on February 7. Several of Perlmuter's photographs are presented here.
1. "And the seeding will be a sign of alliance between us and this land." Photo: David Perlmuter, Kfar Menachem
2. Building in Kibbutz Hazorea, 1930s. Photo: Asher Benari
3. Working in vegetable garden on backdrop of Homa Umigdal (overnight settling in Mandatory Palestine)
4. Photo: Tuvia Rivner, Merhavia
5. Israel's first president, Chaim Weizmann, during visit to Mishmar Haemek in the 1930s. Photo: Yoel Lotan
6. Mapam leader Meir Yaari at Kibbutz Barkai. Photo: Riva Segal
7. Children with flags, Kibbutz Hazorea. Photo: Asher Benari
8. Tu B'Shvat, Kibbutz Hazorea. Photo: Asher Benari
9. Holiday. Photo: Asher Benari
10. May 1 march
11. Generation discussion. Photo: Dragner, Kibbutz Sarid
12. Fruit picking in Kibbutz Sarid. Photo: Dragner
13. Volunteers at Kibbutz Sarid. Photo: Dragner
14. Tug-of-war. Photo: David Perlmuter
15. Volleyball. Photo: Shmuel Beeri
16. Photo: David Perlmuter, Kfar Menachem
17. Field meal. Photo: Zvi Marcus, Mizra
18. Grandma Rosenkrantz at the yard of the Merhavia cooperative. Photo: Tuvia Rivner
For all Trips to the Past – click here