Hizbullah's deputy secretary general, Sheikh Naim Qassem said Saturday that the Lebanese terror group had "100% solid evidence" that Israel was behind the death of the "martyr" Imad Mugniyah in a car blast in Damascus on February 12, according to Iran's Press TV.
'Israel tops list of those who benefited from assassination," Walid Muallem tells Kuwaiti newspaper, adding that Damascus does not control Hizbullah
The English-language news station said Hizbullah urged its supporters to hold a mass rally on Monday in the southern Beirut district of Rweiss to commemorate its slain commander and mark the end of the 40-day mourning period.
Lebanese daily Al-Safir said Hizbullah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah may speak at the rally.
Last week Israel, which has denied any involvement in the assassination, declared a heightened state of alert for fear Hizbullah may attempt to carry out a terror attack against Israeli targets abroad or on Israeli land to avenge Mugniyah's death.
On Tuesday the security establishment imposed a full closure on the West Bank and Gaza ahead of the Purim festivities, this after the Shin Bet security service received seven warnings regarding possible attempts by terror organizations to carry out attacks over the holiday. The closure is expected to be lifted Sunday evening.
General Yahya Rahim Safavi, the top military advisor to Iran's supreme leader, said recently that Mugniyah's assassination would 'hasten the certain death" of Israel as it enraged thousands of young Hizbullah militants.
"With this anger, the certain death of the Zionist regime had been brought forward," he said.