Police launched an investigation
Courtesy of Rabbis for Human Rights
'Electricity cut off as perpetrators flee'
Courtesy of Rabbis for Human Rights

Arson, graffiti in West Bank village

Residents blame settlers from Havat Gilad outpost for incident. Civil Administration officials erase graffiti. 'We won't be anyone's victim,' rightist says

Two Palestinians vehicles were set ablaze Friday morning in the village of Jinsafut, west of Nablus, and the words "price tag" were sprayed in the middle of a Star of David on the wall of one of the nearby buildings.


Upon receiving word of the incident, the Civil Administration was quick to contact the heads of the village in order to maintain calm. Civil Administration officials were sent out to erase the graffiti scrawled on the wall.


A right-wing activist told Ynet, "This is a continuation of the treatment of Arab attacks on settlers in the area. We will not be anyone's victim. Throwing stones and Molotov cocktails needs to stop.

One of the torched cars (Courtesy of Rabbis for Human Rights)


The Judea and Samaria District Police launched an investigation into the incident.


The owner of one of the cars that were set on fire, Abdullah Hassan, said that his mother woke him up in the middle of the night when she heard noises outside the house.


"At about 2 am, I woke up. The car was already up in flames, and a white car in which the settlers rode was moving away from the site. When I went outside, I saw the writing on the wall. Witnesses said that they saw another car in which the arsonists were traveling. I have no doubt that all tracks lead to the settlers in Havat Gilad," said Hassan.


Naama Ayoob, a resident of Jinsafut, also took note of what the night's events: "I heard voices outside, so I went to the window. I saw smoke billowing from Abdallah Hassan's car, which had been set on fire. His mother started to scream, and right at that moment I saw two settlers setting fire to another car. I yelled at them to leave, but it was already too late. A few second later, they had already fled towards Kedumim."


Ayoob said that immediately after the arsonists left the village, electricity to the village and its surroundings was cut, which, she said, raises suspicions whether the authorities were trying to help the perpetrators flee the scene and cover the tracks.


Three cars were torched three days ago in the village of Hawara, south of Nablus. There, too, provocative graffiti was spray-painted on a nearby building, in this case a mosque.


Ali Waked contributed to report


פרסום ראשון: 04.16.10, 10:20
 new comment
This will delete your current comment