Abu-Rahma was arrested Friday on suspicion that he trespassed on a closed military zone but was released, as many times before, on a plea of insanity rendering him unfit for detainment.
Residents of Bil'in claim the IDF raid Tuesday night, which included searches in a number of homes, constituted persecution. They say the army could have summoned him for questioning without the raid, and that its aim was to discourage Abu-Rahma from pressing charges against the soldiers involved in the shooting incident of which he was a victim.
However defense officials said they had acted according to protocol in instances in which acts of terror are suspected. They rejected claims that the army was scheming against Abu-Rahma.
The officials added that anyone who takes part in anti-fence protests in the area of the separation fence is violating orders defining it as a closed military zone.
In July of 2009 the High Court of Justice determined that a decision to try Lieutenant-Colonel Omri Burberg only for conduct unbecoming was highly irregular, and ordered more severe charges. Burberg, who held Abu-Rahma as Staff Sergeant Leonardo Corea fired at him, was transferred from his position.
Abu-Rahma's brother was killed in an anti-fence protest in Bil'in last year, but his case was closed because "no criminal motive could be ascertained". Ashraf, who was angered by the decision, said last month at court that "everything is aimed at giving soldiers cover to kill more innocent people. It can't be that hundreds of innocent people are being killed yet not one soldier has been arrested."
Hanan Greenberg contributed to this report