Abdel Fadil Shusha said the warning published by Israel Thursday was an attempt by the state to harm Egypt's economy. He added that the Israeli government had been publishing such warnings during Egyptian holidays ever since the attacks in Taba and Nuweiba in 2004.
But Al-Arabi al-Husseini, head of the Nuweiba and Taba city council, reported that Israeli tourists were not heeding the warning in any case, and that not a single one has left Sinai at the state's behest.
Al-Husseini said Sinai's bungalows are currently full to 70% capacity, and hotels to 90%. Of the tourists staying in Sinai, 40% are Israeli, he added.
The Counter-Terrorism Bureau urged Israelis on Thursday to leave Sinai at once and return to the country. The grave advisory also urged the relatives of Israelis in Sinai to contact them and update them about the warning.
A statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office Thursday evening warned Israelis that up-to-date, credible information elicited by security authorities shows that a cell belonging to the Army of Islam group, affiliated with Global Jihad organizations, is in Sinai at this time in order to abduct Israelis.
Meanwhile, Egyptian security officials said that authorities detained some 25 jihadists in recent days. The sources told Palestinian news agency Ma'an that the radical Islamists were planning to target peace-keeping forces in the Sinai as well as Israeli tourists.
- Follow Ynetnews on Facebook