Israel's consulate in the southern French port city of Marseille was alerted on Tuesday after an anonymous caller made a bomb threat and a suspicious device was found in a van outside.
Israel's Foreign Ministry has yet to respond to the report, but sources told Ynet that a bomb alert in the area was indeed reported, however it had no connection to the Israeli consulate. The sources said that consulate staff were not evacuated and continue to work as usual.
A source close to the security operation, said the call had been made to police, who deployed to the scene and found a Renault van with a pressure cooker and electric wiring visible inside.
A security cordon has been thrown up and a bomb disposal squad has begun to investigate the vehicle. The call was made at 8:20 am (0620 GMT).
The bomb threat came as world leaders gathered in New York for a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly at which the Palestinian authority will seek recognition as a state despite Israeli opposition.
Ronen Medzini contributed to this report