Former al-Aqsa Martyr's Brigades commander Zakariya Zubeidi claimed Thursday that the Israeli authorities have revoked on the clemency deal signed with him in 2007.
Zubeidi, whose past as a top member of the Fatah's military wing in Jenin once landed him on Israel's most-wanted list, is also on the Palestinian security forces' radar – they accuse him of weapon offenses, which place him in violation of his clemency deal.
- Zubeidi opens children's theater in Jenin
Zubeidi leaves Jenin for first time in 8 years
Zubeidi to serve in PA ministry
After being awarded clemency, Zubeidi formed the "Freedom Theater" in Jenin. The theater was managed by Israeli-Arab actor Juliano Mer-Khamis until he was killed by unknown assailants in April. The investigation in his murder is ongoing.
Last week, the Palestinians alleged that Israeli security forces raided the city and arrested nine Fatah members, including an officer in the Palestinian security forces.
Zubeidi said he did not know whether Mer's murder and the raid were connected.
Speaking to Ynet on Thursday, Zubiedi said he did not know why the Israeli authorities decided to revoke his clemency deal: "I got a call from a Palestinian officer who told me they were informed by Israel that it was revoking the deal."
Zubiedi stressed that the deal was, in fact, signed with the Palestinian security forces and "not between me and Israel."
A recent attempt by the Palestinian security forces to arrest Zubiedi earlier in December resulted in riots.
The Shin Bet declined comment.
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop