Khader Adnan
Photo: AFP

Palestinian detainee Adnan ends hunger strike

Israel set to release Islamic Jihad terrorist from administrative detention in mid-April unless significant new evidence produced

Islamic Jihad operative Khader Adnan has ended his 65-day hunger strike after the State Prosecutor's Office announced it would not seek to renew his administrative detention, the Justice Ministry said Tuesday afternoon.


Related articles:


Adnan, 33, has been held without charge under administrative detention since mid-December.


According to the announcement, if no significant new material is added to the case the State will not extend Adnan's administrative detention, which will end on April 17.


The state said it has agreed to offset the days in which Adnan was held under arrest in order that a criminal investigation could take place, and transfer them to his administrative detention.


The Palestinian detainee, who is currently hospitalized at the Ziv Medical Center in Safed, said through his attorney that he is ending his hunger strike. Due to the agreement, a scheduled Supreme Court hearing on Adnan's demand to be charged or released has been called off.


Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein said the agreement was "balanced and fair."


Adnan, who owns a bakery and produce store in the West Bank village of Arabeh, near Jenin, served as Islamic Jihad's spokesperson. He was arrested by the IDF on December 17 for his alleged involvement in activities that threatenIsrael's security. He began his hunger strike the following day.


Adnan was previously convicted of belonging to a terrorist organization. He went on another hunger strike after being detained by Palestinian security forces in the West Bank.


Israeli security officials consider him to be one of the senior-most Islamic Jihad operatives in the northern West Bank. He is suspected of taking part in various terror-related activities, including allocating funds for terrorist purposes and maintaining contacts with Islamic Jihad operatives in Syria and the West Bank.


Israel had placed Adnan under administrative detention twice before. On Friday Physicians for Human Rights-Israel said he was "in immediate danger of death."


The Palestinian Authority said that following his release Adnan would be transferred to a hospital in the West Bank, where he will be treated until he recuperates from the hunger strike.




  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop








פרסום ראשון: 02.21.12, 15:27
 new comment
This will delete your current comment