Rescue forces in Bnei Brak
Photo: Motti Kimchi

4 badly hurt in Bnei Brak retirement home fire

Fire possibly caused by short circuit. Total of 17 elderly people suffer from smoke inhalation, taken to hospitals in the area

Seventeen elderly people suffered smoke inhalation on Saturday after a fire erupted at a Bnei Brak retirement home. Four people were seriously injured, five were moderately injured and the rest sustained minor wounds. All victims were taken to hospitals and medical centers in the area. Firefighters extinguished the flames.


מקום השריפה בבני ברק. הכבאים השתלטו על האש  (צילום: מוטי קמחי)

Fire in Bnei Brak retirement home (Photo: Motti Kimchi)


The fire broke out at the retirement home's third floor at around 10:15 pm. Some 30 vehicles carrying rescue forces were immediately dispatched to the site. Magen David Adom spokesman Zachi Heller said that fire was likely caused by a short circuit. Many of the home's elderly inhabitants were sleeping in their beds at the time.


Bnei Brak fire station chief Shimon Ben-Ner said that the retirement home did not have a safety approval.


"Two weeks ago we recommended that the site be closed after an inspection we held," Ben-Ner said. "Three months ago we filed a police complaint over a forged fire safety approval."


A police source confirmed a complaint had been filed and said that the retirement home's managers were questioned on the matter on Saturday.


Boaz Fyler contributed to this report




פרסום ראשון: 03.18.12, 00:05
 new comment
This will delete your current comment