Yet plans for the construction of the new command center, for which tens of millions of shekels have already been invested, have been halted due to concerns it would collapse if hit by a missile, Yedioth Ahronoth revealed on Sunday.
Reporter Yossi Yehoshua wrote that the new command center was supposed to be much larger than the old one in the Kirya base. Now, the IDF decided to halt construction work in light of a resolved professional opinion offered by a civilian company according to which the "pit" would not withstand a major and accurate missile barrage.
So far the IDF has invested tens of millions of shekels in the construction of the facility and a major additional sum was set to be invested in the future. Yet now, the project has been brought to a complete stop.
Moreover, the Yedioth Ahronoth report stated that Deputy IDF chief of Staff Yair Nave was supposed to present the findings before the Defense Ministry director general in order to attempt to find a solution. Senior ministry officials said that this was a case of severe negligence. Meanwhile, they are seeking a second opinion.
The IDF Spokesman said in response: "Naturally we can't give any details with regards to this or any other operational preparation."
The full story was published on Sunday in Yedioth Ahronoth
- Receive Ynetnews updates
directly to your desktop