The Fellowship is Israel’s largest philanthropic foundation, which annually contributes more than NIS 270 million ($73 million) to the needy.
As part of the partnership with the Tel Aviv Gillette Marathon, which will include 35,000 runners, the IFCJ has pledged to contribute NIS 5 ($1.35) towards clothing and food for needy children for every kilometer run by each of the runners of the different courses.
The number of kilometers run is expected to reach 600,000 (372,800 miles).
According to IFCJ President Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein, "The world’s largest marathons are also the world’s largest charitable events. This is a worthy moral and ethical connection between sport, the strong and the healthy and between the social responsibilities towards society’s neediest and weakest.
"I’m happy that due to The Fellowship’s participation as the social partner of The Tel Aviv Gillette Marathon, the flag of social solidarity with the weak will be waved in front of the eyes and hearts of the of the runners and the audience. This will enable them to contribute through running.
"I call upon the public to join the Tel Aviv Marathon and Happening and to do good for themselves and for tens of thousands of needy children who will receive clothing and food for Passover from The Fellowship.”
At the same time, the IFCJ will also sponsor "The Fellowship Run" – a popular run of 4.2 kilometers (2.6 miles), in which 5,000 participants are expected. The Fellowship invites its partners at NGOs, organizations and local authorities to join the run and the happening.
The IFCJ works at strengthening the social fabric of Israel. The Fellowship, which does its work through the generous contributions of Christian lovers of Israel around the world, helps populations in circumstances of poverty and danger, works to encourage aliyah and absorption, helps hundreds of thousands of needy Jews around the world, and invests in the welfare of Israel’s citizens and in their security during times of emergency.
During its 12 years of activity in Israel, the Fellowship has contributed more than NIS 2 billion ($550 million) to hundreds of social projects in Israel.
About the marathon
- The Tel Aviv Gillette Marathon is the largest active lifestyle event in Israel
- Four days of festivals in Rabin Square, seven spectacular running courses, 35,000 runners, 180,000 supporters and participants, wide-ranging media coverage.
- The starting point and finish line are at the enchanting Tel Aviv beach, at Charles Clore Park, next to the renovated and stylish Tachana site.
- The marathon will include a wide range of heats: Marathon, half-marathon, 10-kilometer run, inline skating lane, 10% run (4.2 kilometers); hand-cycle race, and a kids' mini-marathon.
- At the same time as the races and following them, Tel Aviv will celebrate the Marathon Holiday. Dozens of musical stages will be active throughout the city; there will be a marathon picnic for families at the Rabin Square; benefits for residents and guests at coffee shops, restaurants and stores; and a Happening Run TLV, which will take place in the Charles Clore site – a celebration of active life for runners, families, friends and all of Tel Aviv’s residents and guests.