Photo: Benny Doutsh
17-year-old tourist raped in beach restroom
Photo: Benny Doutsh

Police suspect tourist raped in beach restroom

Umm al-Fahm resident, Sudanese national arrested on suspicion of involvement in rape of 17-year-old South African tourist at Tel Aviv's Banana Beach. Men located through victim's phone found their possession

A resident of Umm al-Fahm and a Sudanese national currently living in Tel Aviv were arrested Wednesday for their suspected involvement in the rape of a 17-year-old tourist from South Africa in the restroom of a Tel Aviv beach.


According to police, one of the suspects attacked the girl 10 days ago as she was entering the restroom at the beach, raped her, and stole her mobile phone. The suspects were traced via the girl's phone, of which they were still in possession at the time of the arrest.


Related stories:


The victim's complaint revealed that she, a tourist from South Africa, had arrived in Israel for vacation and was spending a day at the beach, at some time during which she went to the beach's restroom.


חוף בננה ביץ'. החשודים אותרו באמצעות הטלפון של הקורבן (צילום: בני דויטש)

Restroom entrance (Photo: Benny Doutsh)


The suspect apparently noticed her entering the restroom and followed her into the stall where he allegedly raped her, stole her phone and fled the scene. The tourist called the police and reported the crime.


תא השירותים בחוף (צילום: בני דויטש) 

Scene of crime (Photo: Benny Doutsh)


In wake of an extensive investigation conducted by the Central Tel Aviv Police Station, the mobile device was located as being held by the Umm al-Fahm resident. He was then taken to investigation where he told police he had purchased the phone from a foreigner living in Tel Aviv.


Following his testimony, the Sudanese man was arrested, and police began to investigate the connection between the two in attempt to find out which of them perpetrated the rape.


Head of the station's investigative unit, Chief Inspector Aviv Shpancer, and the investigation crew, suspect there are other suspects involved.


The two apprehended suspects, both in their mid-20s, were brought before a Tel Aviv Magistrate Court judge Thursday for extension of remand.



  • Receive Ynetnews updates directly to your desktop




פרסום ראשון: 07.11.13, 16:36
 new comment
This will delete your current comment