Channels

European officials frustrated over faltering Iran nuke pact
The foreign ministers of Germany and Sweden expressed frustration Tuesday over the possible demise of the Iran nuclear deal, warning Tehran that withdrawing would bring "international isolation" and criticizing the United States for jeopardizing a decade of diplomatic efforts.

 

Speaking at a nuclear disarmament meeting in Stockholm, Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom said Washington's abandonment of the
2015 accord had been "very counterproductive" -- threatening not just the Iran deal but the credibility of world powers in negotiating with North Korea.

 

The European Union and some countries in Europe have been working to salvage the agreement intended to curb Iran's ability to develop nuclear weapons since U.S. President Donald Trump withdrew from it last year and reinstated sanctions against Iran.

 

Tehran has threatened to also walk away from the deal on July 7 and resume enriching uranium closer to weapons-grade level unless the remaining signatories -- China, Russia, France, Germany and Britain -- find a way to neutralize the effect of U.S. sanctions.

 

German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, who was in Iran last week for talks on the country's nuclear program, warned that the deal's collapse served the interests of neither Europe nor Iran.

 

Without the accord, "one can no longer assume with certainty that Iran won't resume developing a nuclear weapon," Maas said.

 


פרסום ראשון: 06.11.19, 19:34