The UK teen was arrested last week after she admitted to have made up the story about being sexually assaulted by the Israelis at a hotel in the Cypriot resort town of Ayia Napa on July 17. The Israeli youths were freed shortly after and returned to Israel to a heroes’ welcome.
Paralimni court judge Tonia Antoniou on Wednesday approved lawyer Andreas Pittadjis' request to quit, and adjourned the case until August 19 to give the woman time to find a new lawyer.
Pittadjis said his decision to resign was made after consulting with the woman and her family, but wouldn't disclose the nature of his disagreement.
I do not wish any longer to represent the defendant as I disagree with the line of defense," Pittadjis said after the hearing. "Once there is a disagreement (lawyers) have an obligation towards the court themselves and their clients to resign."
The judge ordered that the woman remain in police custody until her next court appearance.
Pittadjis' withdrawal from the case comes amid British media reports that the woman claimed she was forced by Cypriot investigators to retract her original rape report.
The Sun newspaper also obtained several text messages the Briton sent to her friends while in custody, where she said the officers were threatening her and wouldn't allow her to speak to anyone.
Cypriot police deny the allegation, insisting the woman voluntarily admitted in writing to falsely accusing the Israelis.
"Please do not interpret my resignation as whether she had to plead guilty or not guilty or anything, as this will be prejudicial to her defense and unfair to her as well," said Pittadjis.
Lawyers representing the Israelis said they would sue the woman for damages on behalf of their clients.