Soldiers in territories (archives)
Photo: AP
Hamas man involved in Park Hotel attack arrested
Head of organization's military wing in Tulkarem arrested by special police unit along with deputy while arriving at Bethlehem area, apparently in order to collect weapons
A senior Hamas member involved in planning the 2002 terror attack at the Park Hotel in Netanya was arrested Tuesday in a joint Israel Defense Forces, Shin Bet and police operation in the West Bank village of Tsurif, southwest of Bethlehem. Thirty people were murdered in the Netanya bombing.


Muhammad Hariush, 26, head of Hamas' military wing in Tulkarem, was seized along with his deputy, Adnan Samara, 25, as the two arrived at the Bethlehem area, apparently in order to collect weapons.


Following intelligence information received by the security forces, a special police force encircled the house the two were visiting and called on them to come out. The two emerged from the building without any resistance.


Defense establishment officials say Hariush was injured by IDF fire in March 2004 and was transferred by Hamas men to Ramallah, where he continued his activity and was even involved in planning a suicide bomb in Israel, which was thwarted. At this stage, he was arrested by the Palestinian Authority's security organizations and sent to the PA's prison in Jericho.


In June 2006, after being released from jail, Hariush returned to Tulkarem and became one of the commanders of Hamas' military wing in the city and the main helper of the organization's leader, Omar Jabar.


As part of this activity, Hariush worked to recruit and establish military cells and purchase weapons. These cells were slated to carry out attacks against IDF and PA forces.  


Another person responsible for the Netanya hotel attack was arrested about a year and a half ago. The man, Jaber Dahud, was a prominent member of Hamas' military wing in the region.


 new comment
See all talkbacks "Hamas man involved in Park Hotel attack arrested "
This will delete your current comment