The fragile ceasefire
with Gaza's militant groups was breached on Monday, as several rockets were fired at Israel following a relatively calm morning.
The Iron Dome
defense system intercepted at least one Grad rocket fired at Beersheba. Shortly afterwards, a rocket was fired at the city of Sderot. Residents of the Sha'ar Hanegev Regional Council reported hearing an explosion within the council's limit.
No injuries or damages were reported and security forces are canvassing the area for the projectiles.
Monday afternoon saw rocket fire at the southern city of Ashkelon, as well. The projectile
hit an open area and no injuries or damage were reported.
The cities of Beersheba, Ashkelon and Ashdod have decided to suspend all school activities on Tuesday, in light of the security situation.
|Iron Dome intercepts rocket fire on Beersheba |
Earlier in the day, the Home Front Command announced that the school system in the area will resume normal activity.
The French Foreign Office issued a statement Monday denouncing the weekend's rocket fire at Israel,
which claimed one life and left dozens of others injured.
"France is concerned about a possible escalation in the area and urges both parties to exercise restraint and respect the ceasefire," the statement said.
Grad damage in Ashkelon (Photo: Shai Ben-Yishai)
Monday's rocket fire followed the overnight landing of six Gaza-fired projectiles
within the western Negev's limits. No injuries or damage were reported.
The security situation in the southern sector escalated over the weekend, when Gaza militants fired dozens of Qassam and Grad rockets at Israel's southern communities. The Islamic Jihad
claimed responsibility for the majority of the rockets.
The IAF struck several Gaza targets following the fire, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
vowed that the IDF
will not cease its operations in the Strip until the Gaza groups hold their fire.
Palestinian sources reported that nine militants were killed in the IDF's strikes.
Meanwhile, Military Intelligence sources told Ynet that the Islamic Jihad
did not use a multiple-rocket launcher to fire at Israel on Saturday and that the video showing its use – as aired on Palestinian television – was a fake.
The video depicted the simultaneous fire of four rockets, but no simultaneous landing was recorded by Israeli security forces.
Shmulik Hadad, Yoav Zitun and Ronen Medzini contributed to this report