Petition: Social services budgets discriminate against Arabs - Israel News, Ynetnews
 
ynetnews
web


   Israel News

Israel News
World News
Israel Opinion
Jewish
Israel Business
Israel Culture
Israel Travel
Pending Crisis

Illustration Photo: Gil Yohanan
Illustration Photo: Gil Yohanan
 
Emile Sema'an Photo: Avishag Shaar-Yashuv
Emile Sema'an Photo: Avishag Shaar-Yashuv
 
 

Petition: Social services budgets discriminate against Arabs

Advocacy groups petition High Court for new social services budgeting system, claiming that current one favors Jewish towns over Arab ones

Omri Efraim
Published: 09.19.12, 19:05 / Israel News

Groups advocating for Arab-Israeli rights have petitioned the High Court of Justice to reform the way social services within Israel's local authorities are budgeted, claiming that the current arrangement discriminates against Arab communities.

 

Under the current system, the local authorities are tasked with financing 25% of social services provided within their jurisdiction, while the remaining 75% are provided by the Ministry of Social Affairs and Social Services. The ministry provides additional financing to those authorities that manage to pay their quarter of the budget.

 

Related stories:

 

The Israel Religious Action Center and the Association of Social Service Heads for Arab Communities claim that the system favors Jewish towns over Arab ones because it fails to take into account each locality's socio-economic situation. It therefore undermines the Arab communities' ability to provide sufficient social services to their residents, they say.

 

"The Arab authorities are on the bottom of the socio-economic scale and cannot finance 25% of the social services budget," said Emile Sema'an, Chairman of the Association of Social Service Heads.

 

Crisis imminent

Sema'an warned that a financial crisis is imminent within the Arab-Israeli authorities unless the system is changed.

 

"The number of social services recipients in the Arab sector has doubled over the past three years, but the situation has yet to be addressed," he said.

 

Attorney Ruth Carmi of the Religious Action Center told Ynet that the existing system undermines the poor towns' ability to hire social workers, and thus not only perpetuates the gaps between financially strong and weak towns, but also widens them.

 

Aviel Magnezi contributed to the report

 

 

 

commentcomment   PrintPrint  Send to friendSend to friend   
Tag with Del.icio.us Bookmark to del.icio.us



 
4 Talkbacks for this article    See all talkbacks
Please wait for the talkbacks to load

 

RSS RSS | About | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Terms of use | Advertise with us | Site Map

Site developed by  YIT Advanced Technology Solutions

 
פיקוד העורף התרעה במרחב:
    רשימת יישובים במרחב