Channels

Photo: Ori Porat
Mofaz: Red line crossed
Photo: Ori Porat

Mofaz: Hamas involved in Qassam fire

Intelligence information indicates Hamas, along with Islamic Jihad, behind two separate Qassam launchings toward Israel that took place last week. Defense minister: No one is immune, and we will use all means at our disposal to harm those carrying out terror attacks against Israel

Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz said Thursday “No one is immune, and we will use all means at our disposal to harm those carrying out terror attacks against Israel.”

 

Mofaz’s comments, made during the weekly security establishment meeting, came amid intelligence information indicating Hamas, along with Islamic Jihad, was behind two separate Qassam launchings toward Israel that took place last week.

 

“Whoever carries out acts of terror against us will be dealt with just as any other terrorist, regardless of the organization he belongs to,” the defense minister added.

 

During the meeting security officials said Islamic Jihad regards the interim period until the formation of a Palestinian government as a “green light” to carry out attacks against Israel.

 

Mofaz said the activity against the terror group will continue with the aim of eradicating Jihad’s terror infrastructure in the West Bank and neutralizing its capability to carry out attacks.

 

‘Law enforcement must be maintained’

 

The increased threat of the kidnapping of soldiers by terror groups for bargaining purposes was also raised during the meeting.

 

Mofaz also addressed Wednesday’s evacuation of the illegal West Bank outpost of Amona, stating that a red line had been crossed by the settlers.

 

“The teens that rioted yesterday were sent by their parents; this is a worrying phenomenon,” he said, adding that he fully backs the security forces who carried out the evacuation.

 

“Law enforcement must be maintained, but we must develop a dialogue with the opinion makers due to the rift that has been created,” Mofaz said.

 

The Qassam attacks on Israel resumed Thursday, with one rocket launched toward Ashkelon’s southern industrial area. Workers in the area reported hearing a loud blast, and police and Fire Department forces dispatched to the scene scoured the area for the exact landing site.

 

No injuries or damage were reported in the attack.

 

Two additional rockets landed near Sderot and the Erez crossing; no injuries or damage were reported.

 

On Tuesday a Qassam landed in a Sderot street, lightly injuring a resident and damaging a parked car.

 

Last Sunday the “Red Dawn” alert system detected two rocket launchings toward Israel from Gaza. The Qassams apparently landed in open areas in the western Negev; no injuries or damage were reported. 

 


פרסום ראשון: 02.02.06, 20:05
 new comment
See all talkbacks "Mofaz: Hamas involved in Qassam fire"
Warning:
This will delete your current comment