Police on high alert
Photo courtesy Tel Aviv Police
Car believed to be used by J'lem shooter found
Several gun bullets uncovered inside vehicle found by police near Mercaz Harav yeshiva. Closure imposed on West Bank; police boost deployment across Israel in wake of Thursday’s bloody terror attack

A car that was apparently used by the terrorist who killed eight people at Mercaz Harav yeshiva Thursday has been found by security forces near the place Friday. The terrorist was a resident of the eastern Jerusalem village of Jabel Mukaber who worked as a driver.  


Several gun bullets were uncovered inside the vehicle, which has been seized by the police for further inspections.


Defense Minister Ehud Barak has ordered the IDF to impose a closure on the West Bank following the terror attack. The closure is set to continue until security forces reevaluate the situation in several days.


The crossings were closed on Thursday night. However, passage will be allowed in humanitarian and medical cases, subject to the approval of the District Coordination Office.


Internal Security Minister Avi Dichter on Friday. convened a meeting to evaluate the situation following the terror attack in Jerusalem.


The meeting was attended by Police Commissioner Dudi Cohen, who is scheduled to visit the Temple Mount later and monitor security developments in the capital.


Following the attack, all police districts across the nation were ordered to boost their alert level for fear of additional attacks that may be in the works or underway. Border Guard police forces were also ordered to boost their deployment.


Security forces will place special emphasis on population centers in Israel’s largest cities.


Tensions have been high the entire week in the wake of the escalation on the southern front. Security forces have been dealing with riots across the West Bank, including east Jerusalem.


In incidents reminiscent of the early days of the Intifada, Arabs hurled stones at Jews in the capital, while in one case two city inspectors were nearly lynched on Salah al-Din Street. The two, who were attacked by several Palestinians hurling stones and bearing sticks, managed to drive away before being killed.


Meanwhile, intelligence information received by police officials warned that radicals were planning to riot at the end of Friday’s prayer session at Jerusalem’s Temple Mount. As a result, authorities decided to allow

only men above the age of 45 and possessing Israeli ID cards to enter the compound Friday. No similar age limit has been imposed on female worshippers.


Police forces are expected to deploy in force in the Old City and in east Jerusalem tomorrow, as tensions in the capital continue to grow.


Avi Cohen and Hanan Greenberg contributed to the report


First published: 06.03.08, 22:51
 new comment
See all talkbacks "Car believed to be used by J'lem shooter found"
This will delete your current comment