משפחת בירן
The Biran family, with Eitan on the right
Photo: Courtesy of family
The Biran family, with Eitan on the right

Israeli child orphaned in Italian cable car crash out of ICU

Turin hospital says 5-year-old Eitan Biran — who lost his parents, younger brother and great-grandparents in deadly May 24 accident — is 'constantly improving' and recovering from chest and abdomen injuries

AFP |
Published: 06.01.21 , 19:54
The five-year-old Israeli boy who was the sole survivor of an Italian cable car crash that killed 14 people was moved out of intensive care on Tuesday, a medical source said.
  • Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter

  • Eitan Biran lost his parents, younger brother and great-grandparents in the May 24 accident near the top of the Mottarone mountain, in the northwestern Piedmont region.
    3 צפייה בגלריה
    משפחת בירן
    משפחת בירן
    The Biran family, with Eitan on the right
    (Photo: Courtesy of family)
    Biran was transferred to a regular ward after lunch, a spokesman for the Citta della Salute hospital in Turin told AFP.
    The move had been announced a day earlier when the hospital said the boy was "constantly improving" and recovering from his chest and abdomen injuries.
    It added that his aunt was by his bedside. Biran's family, originally from Israel, had moved to northern Italy in 2018, according to Italian media.
    After the crash, the boy was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition. He spent several days intubated and sedated, and woke up on Thursday.
    3 צפייה בגלריה
    בית החולים לילדים באיטליה בו מאושפז איתן בירן
    בית החולים לילדים באיטליה בו מאושפז איתן בירן
    Regina Margherita Hospital in Turin, Italy where Eitan is being treated
    (Photo: Ze'ev Abrahami)
    The accident has shocked Italy.
    It killed Biran's family and others out on a Sunday excursion to the scenic spot served by the cable car.
    The cable car's pull cable snapped just before it reached its destination. It then flew backwards, dislodging itself from a second, supporting cable, and crashed to the ground.
    Investigations have revealed that emergency brakes that could have stopped the car on its supporting cable, avoiding the tragedy, had been deactivated.
    3 צפייה בגלריה
    זירת האסון
    זירת האסון
    The scene of the cable car crash in northern Italy
    (Photo: AP)
    Three men — the cable car's chief technician, a technical director and the owner of the cable car operating company — have been arrested but released over the weekend.
    The technician, Gabriele Tadini, was put under house arrest after admitting to disabling the brake system because it was malfunctioning but said his two superiors knew about this.
    They have denied this and were released after a judge found a "total lack of evidence" against them. All three men remain under criminal investigation.
    Talkbacks for this article 0