Elderly hostages freed by Hamas reunite with families in Tel Aviv

Nurit Cooper and Yocheved Lifshitz arrive at Sourasky Medical Center and met with their loved ones after being held captive by Hamas in Gaza for two and a half weeks; hospital says medical condition of both women fine

Nahum Barnea, Adir Yanko|
Nurit Cooper, 80, and Yocheved Lifshitz, 85, who were abducted during the October 7 massacre in Nir Oz, landed overnight Tuesday at the helicopter pad of Sourasky Medical Center in Tel Aviv after they were released from Hamas captivity in the Gaza Strip.
<< Follow Ynetnews on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | TikTok >>
Read more:
The two elderly women were initially transferred to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing. From there, they were airlifted to the hospital in Israel, where they were reunited with their families.
3 View gallery
החטופה יוכבד ליפשיץ בבית החולים איכילוב
החטופה יוכבד ליפשיץ בבית החולים איכילוב
Gaza captive Yocheved Lifshitz, 85, reunites with her family at Sourasky Medical Center in Tel Aviv
(Photo: Nahum Barnea)
3 View gallery
מסוק החטופות נוחת באיכילוב
מסוק החטופות נוחת באיכילוב
Gaza captives arrive at Sourasky
(Photo: Moti Kimchi)
Speaking with Ynet, Lifshitz recalled the moment of her abduction during the invasion of her kibbutz. "They completely schooled us. They placed me sideways on a motorcycle so I wouldn't fall, with one terrorist holding me from the front and another from behind. They crossed the border fence into the Gaza Strip, initially holding me in the nearby town of Abasan al-Kabira. After that, I don't know where I was taken to."
The hospital reported that the two abductees, whose husbands were still being held hostage in the Gaza Strip, were reunited with their families, and their overall medical condition was good.
"We received the two abductees a few minutes ago, and we were very moved," said Eti Uziel, the deputy director of nursing and chief nurse at Sourasky. "They appear to be fine, their medical condition is good, and they are speaking. At first, we immediately brought them to their families."
3 View gallery
נורית קופר
נורית קופר
Yocheved Lifshitz (left) and Nurit Cooper
Regarding the reunion with the families, she recounted, "It was a very touching meeting. For now, they are allowed to rest with their families. Later on, they will undergo a comprehensive physical examination, and by tomorrow we will know exactly what their condition is. The current situation is extremely emotional for both them and their families."
85-year-old Lifshitz was held separately from her husband Oded, 83, who was also abducted. After her release, her family said, "We are happy and relieved, but we are still concerned for her husband. We want to see them both home soon and demand that the government do everything to ensure their immediate release.”
As part of its psychological warfare, Hamas released a video in which members of the organization are seen offering coffee and sweets to the recently released abductees, seemingly in an effort to improve their public image following the brutal attack on Israeli border communities.

Nurit Cooper was abducted from Nir Oz along with her husband, Amiram, 85. The couple has been living on the kibbutz for 70 years. Their granddaughter, Gali, recounted that her last conversation with them was on the day of the attack at 9:40am.
"My grandfather whispered to me anxiously, 'Gali, I can't talk right now, there are terrorists roaming around the kibbutz homes.' I didn't even get the chance to tell him I loved him. We never believed this would happen. The call was disconnected and they haven't answered since."
The commenter agrees to the privacy policy of Ynet News and agrees not to submit comments that violate the terms of use, including incitement, libel and expressions that exceed the accepted norms of freedom of speech.