היבא יבזק בפתח הדיון בעניין פסילת מועמדותה לכנסת
Joint List MK Heba Yazbak
Photo: Shalev Shalom
Joint List MK Heba Yazbak

Supreme Court okays candidacy of MK Yazbak

Court verdict overturns decision to bar Arab lawmaker from running to Knesset due to controversial posts shared on social media; Joint List MK praises ruling, blames Central Elections Committee of political persecution

i24NEWS |
Published: 02.09.20 , 22:09
The Supreme Court on Sunday overturned the decision to ban Arab Israeli Joint List MK Heba Yazbak from running in the March 2 elections.
  • Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter
  • The Central Elections Committee disqualified Yazbak last month from running to parliament after the lawmaker came under for several Facebook posts she shared back in 2015 and 2013.
    היבא יבזק בפתח הדיון בעניין פסילת מועמדותה לכנסתהיבא יבזק בפתח הדיון בעניין פסילת מועמדותה לכנסת
    Joint List MK Heba Yazbak
    (Photo: Shalev Shalom)
    Her 2015 Facebook post featured a photo of Lebanese terrorist Samir Kuntar, who took part in a 1979 terror attack in Nahariya, killing Danny Haran and slashing the skull of his four-year-old daughter, Einat Haran.
    She shared the post following Kuntar's death in Syria, calling him the "martyr."
    In addition, she shared a post in 2013 with a picture of female terrorist Dalal Mughrabi, who led the terrorist squad that carried out the attack on Highway 2 in 1978, in which 35 Israelis were killed, including 12 children.
    Yazbak added to the picture of Mograbi the words "Dalal Mograbi lived 20 years and did it all. Blessed be the women of the resistance."
    She also made statements that were interpreted by critics as supporting violence against IDF personnel.
    In the final verdict, the Justices, who voted 5-4 in favor of overturning Yazbak's barring, wrote that "the narrow result we reached illustrates how close Yazbak would be to finding herself outside Knesset. There is no place to 'celebrate' the end result. There is room for introspection if this is the way to advance the cause of Israeli Arabs."
    Yazbak praised the court's decision to annul her barring and blamed the Central Elections Committee of political persecution.
    “Supreme Court's decision shows yet again that disqualification requests are part of the circus of incitement against me and against the Arab community and its representatives,” Yazbak said in a statement. “The Central Elections Committee's decision to disqualify me was a political decision by a political entity.”
    Joint List leader MK Ayman Odeh welcomed the court ruling.
    “The campaign of political incitement by the far-right has crashed against the legal reality,” Odeh said. “MK Yazbak will continue to the next Knesset and fight for peace, equality, and democracy for everyone.”
    Talkbacks for this article 0